Afterpay Touch Group
FY18 (4Q18) and full year (FY18), which saw its share price re-rate more than +37% in a few days.
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector : Financial||52-Week Range: A$2.94 – 16.19|
|Industry: Diversified Financial|
|Market Cap: A$3,244.9m|
We rate APT as a Buy for the following reasons:
1. First mover advantage, having built up ~2.2 million clients and over 16,000 partnerships with retailers.
2. Data monetization for APT and clients (potentially introduce data mining services).
3. Vertical expansion – health, beauty, entertainment, travel.
4. International expansion – U.S. is off to a good start, however APT can look to penetrate other developed markets (e.g. Europe).
5. Potential corporate activity.
6. Strong management team.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
1. High valuation which is susceptible to de-rating should growth rates miss expectations.
2. Expansion into new verticals disappoints management and market expectations.
3. Increased competition from major player(s).
4. Execution risk with international expansion.
5. Increased regulation.
6. Significant data breach.
Afterpay Touch Group (APT) has provided a very strong sales update for the fourth quarter FY18 (4Q18) and full year (FY18), which saw its share price re-rate more than +37% in a few days. All trading indicators mentioned in the update indicate very strong momentum in the business, with the company guiding towards FY18 revenue of $142m, which is +23% above pre-announcement consensus estimates ($115m) and +36% above our estimates.
The launch into the U.S. also appears to be tracking well. Despite the share price re-rating+116.1% since our initial Buy call in Feb-18, we believe there is more room for appreciation. We retain our Buy recommendation on APT, given its strong market positions with retailers (first mover advantage), opportunities to replicate its business model across different verticals (initial signs are encouraging) and move into the U.S., whilst not without risk, presents a significant opportunity.
We estimate the U.S. could contribute more than US$1.0bn in revenue and US$350m in net transaction margin over the long-term. On the downside, increased regulator (ASIC) scrutiny does present some downside risk, however we remain comfortable with the business model and any potential changes.
- Trading update – key points.
1. More than $2.18bn of total underlying sales in FY18 (+289% on pcp). 4Q18 sales up +171% to $736m vs. pcp.
2. Approx. 16,500 retailers and 2.2 million customers.
3. Strong start to the U.S. segment since launching, with 400 retailer contracts signed (over 200 retailers live on platform) and $11m of underlying sales in the first full month.
4. In-store continues to build momentum, with approximately 10,000 shop fronts now live with Afterpay.
5. A stronger Net Transaction Margin (NTM) is expected in 2H18 versus 1H18.
6. A new $200m receivables funding facility closing to finalizing.
7. FY18 guidance. Management expects full year group revenue and other income of $142m, group EBITDA (operating earnings) $33-34m and group EBTDA (operating earnings excl. interest) $27-28m.
- Ongoing retailer momentum and highly engaged client base. APT continues to add merchants to its platform with little marketing efforts, in our view. The number of merchants have increased from approximately 11,500 in 2Q18 to 14,000 in 3Q18 (up +22% on prior quarter) to 16,500 in 4Q18 (+18% on prior quarter). The Company noted that of the 2.2 million members, 2.0 million were active (that is a rate of 91%), with average customer spent over a 12 month period increasing from $900 (12-mths to 31-Dec-17) to $1,100 (12-mths to 30-Jun-18). Further, the Afterpay mobile App has been downloaded more than 1.6 million times (up from 850k at first half FY18).
- U.S. off to a good start – what is it worth to APT’s financials? Using U.S. Census population growth estimates, we have derived a basic revenue model for APT’s U.S. segment. On our estimates, over the long-term the segment could contribute more than US$1.0bn in revenue and net transaction margin of more than US$350m.
- Valuation. We will look to fully incorporate our U.S. revenue and earnings estimates post the full year results. At this stage we have incorporated the U.S. segment’s valuation by applying a multiple to the U.S. revenue opportunity over the long-term and adding this to our ANZ segment’s valuation. Our new price target is $17.50.
ASK THE ANALYST
Our analysts are ready to answer any questions you have
WHAT IS THE U.S. OPPORTUNITY WORTH?
Total addressable market. In order to quantify APT’s U.S. opportunity we first seek to determine the total addressable market. According to U.S. Census projections (“Population Projects for 2020 to 2060” issued March 2018), the U.S. is projected to grow by 78 million over the coming four decades, from 326 million in 2017 to 404 million in 2060 (that is, on average of 1.8 million people per year).
Figure 1: U.S. population projects by Age 2020 to 2060
Source: U.S. Census, BTIG
Revenue model. Using the above U.S. Census population estimates, we have derived a basic revenue model for APT’s U.S. segment. On our estimates, over the long-term the segment could contribute more than US$1.0bn in revenue and net transaction margin of more than US$350m.
Figure 2: APT U.S. revenue model
Afterpay Touch Group (APT) is a technology-driven payments company based out of Australia. APT comprises of the Afterpay and Touch products and businesses. The Company provides a “buy now, take now and pay later” business model. Merchants sign up to Afterpay which enables their retail customers to pay for purchases in four installments without interest. APT pays merchants upfront, taking the credit and fraud risk upon themselves. Customers can pay by debit or credit card (Visa/Mastercard) – for this reason, APT considers banks and credit card providers to be “collaborators” instead of competitors. Merchants benefit because they are able to increase sales to customers who would normally not be able to afford to make purchases in a single lump sum.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).