Afterpay Touch Group (APT) – BUY
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector : Information Technology||52-Week Range: A$3.66 – 23.00|
|Industry: Diversified Financial Services||Market Cap: A$3,964.7m|
We rate APT as a Buy for the following reasons:
- First mover advantage, having built up ~2.3 million clients and over 17,000 partnerships with retailers.
- Data monetization for APT and clients (potentially introduce data mining services).
- Vertical expansion – health, beauty, entertainment, travel.
- International expansion – U.S. is off to a good start and the Company will now launch into the UK.
- Potential corporate activity.
- Strong management team.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- High valuation which is susceptible to de-rating should growth rates miss expectations.
- Expansion into new verticals disappoints management and market expectations.
- Increased competition from major player(s).
- Execution risk with international expansion.
- Increased regulation.
- Significant data breach.
Afterpay Touch Group (APT) FY18 results were largely well understood by the market given the business updates leading into the results – so no real surprises in the numbers.
The big news from the results release was the move into the UK market via the acquisition of ClearPay which was accompanied by a capital raising. In our view, the expansion is in line with management’s stated strategy of moving into key global markets to establish a presence.
Again, given the market opportunity, should management execute on their plans, it adds significant earnings upside and diversification away from its Australian base. The launch is 6 months away and we will look to include the numbers in our valuation closer to 1H19 results. Additionally, the launch into the U.S. also appears to be tracking well.
We retain our Buy recommendation on APT, given its strong market positions with retailers (first mover advantage), opportunities to replicate its business model across different verticals (initial signs are encouraging) and move into the U.S. & UK, whilst not without risk, present significant opportunities.
For the U.S. alone, we estimate the segment could contribute more than US$1.0bn in revenue and US$350m in net transaction margin over the long-term. On the downside, increased regulator (ASIC) scrutiny does present some downside risk (ASIC has published an initial draft), however we remain comfortable with the business model and any potential changes.
- FY18 key points.
1. Group revenue up +390% to $142.3m on the back of higher underlying sales and stable merchant margins.
2. Group operating earnings (underlying EBITDA) of $33.8m was up +468% on pcp.
3. Net transaction losses were lower at 0.4% (from 0.6% on pcp).
4. Net transaction margin improved by 10bps to 2.6% of underlying sales. (6) As at 19 Jul-18, there were 2.3 million active users and approximately 17,700 merchants on-boarded.
- S. update. The Company noted the following:
1. There are over 800 retailers signed to date, with over 400 merchants currently using the Afterpay platform.
2. Over 150,000 registered users.
3. Underlying sales was approximately $12m in June and $20m in July.
- UK strategy announced. Whilst there is no doubt that execution is a key risk (also true for the U.S.), we believe the move into the UK market makes strategic sense. The market is considered to be world’s third largest e-commerce market. Afterpay will acquire a UK-based buy now, pay later business, ClearPay Finance Ltd. APT will launch into the UK within the next 6 months and will transition ClearPay to Afterpay brand and associated brands.
- ASIC draft legislation. ASIC has published a draft legislation which essentially provides powers to cover companies providing short term credit not already captured under existing legislation (i.e. the National Consumer Credit Protection Act). The key concerns raised by ASIC essentially is that some providers have designed products in this space to avoid scrutiny and that consumers are not fully aware of all the risks associated with these products. We have previously noted that this is a key risk for the Company and industry, however we do not expect any changes to legislation which APT cannot comply with. Further we note the loan amounts are small, APT does not hold any assets or claims to assets as collateral and customers accounts are linked to debit accounts for installment payments.
Figure 1: APT Financial Summary
Source: BTIG, Company, Bloomberg
Afterpay Touch Group (APT) is a technology driven payments company based out of Australia. APT comprises of the Afterpay and Touch products and businesses. The Company provides a “buy now, take now and pay later” business model. Merchants sign up to Afterpay which enables their retail customers to pay for purchases in four instalments without interest. APT pays merchants upfront, taking the credit and fraud risk upon themselves. Customers can pay by debit or credit card (Visa/Mastercard) – for this reason, APT considers banks and credit card providers to be “collaborators” instead of competitors. Merchants benefit because they are able to increase sales to customers who would normally not be able to afford to make purchases in a single lump sum.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing email@example.com.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).