James Hardie (JHX) – NEUTRAL
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector: Materials||52-Week Range: A$17.03 – 24.19|
|Industry: Construction Materials||Market Cap: A$9,671.0m|
We rate JHX as a Neutral for the following reasons:
- Largest producer of non-asbetos fibre cement – approximately 85% of the market share in the US, Australia and New Zealand.
- Ongoing momentum in the US housing market, with a positive outlook for housing starts (approximately 1.2m to 1.3m for 2019).
- Fibre cement taking market share from vinyl and other siding products.
- Strong R&D program to stay ahead of competition.
- Leveraged to a falling AUD/USD.
- New CEO may bring a fresh perspective on existing strategy.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Competitive pressures leading to margin decline.
- Input cost pressures which the company is unable to pass on to customers.
- Deterioration in housing starts (US, Australia).
- Unable to achieve its growth and market share target, which likely see a de-rating of the stock.
- Adverse movements in asbestos claims.
Figure 1: JHX Revenue by Segment
JHX reported a solid 1Q19 result with adjusted net profit of US$79.9m +29% above previous corresponding period (pcp) and adjusted operating earnings (EBIT) up +21% on pcp, with EBIT margins slightly weaker (by -0.9%) at 16.5%.
However, when trading on high PE-multiples, outlook or a miss against expectations can have a very negative share price reaction (JHX price was down approx. -7%). The source of this reaction was disappointing volume growth over the quarter in JHX’s North America Fibre Cement segment (80% of group earnings).
The key market segment of exteriors grew only +1% above market index growth, with management also adding that the order book looks a little light relative to their expectation. Putting this together, investors are questioning whether JHX can achieve its FY19 target of +3-5% above market growth rate.
Further, management’s full year net profit guidance was below market expectations, especially considering the Company is expected to benefit from lower tax rate during the year. Maintain Neutral.
- North America Fiber Cement (80% of 1Q19 EBIT).
1. Sales growth of +10% on pcp was driven by +5% growth in volume and +5.0% in pricing.
2. EBIT jumped by +34.0%, driven by +23% increase in gross profit on higher prices, lower start up costs and lower production costs.
3. Solid gross profit margin (up +3.7%) drove EBIT margin by 4.4% to 24.7%.
- North America volume growth disappoints and full year target appears challenging. Management noted that volume grew by +6.5% in exteriors (main driver of group volumes) and +1.0% in interiors. Exteriors market index growth rate was estimated to be 4-5%, which suggest JHX’s FY19 target to achieve 3-5% above market growth (termed primary demand growth or PDG) is now starting to be questioned by investors. Management conceded that they need continued momentum to achieve full year goals.
- Order book below expectations in the North America Fibre Cement segment. Not helping market’s confidence in JHX building momentum in FY19 was management’s comments on a light order book. On the analysts’ conference call, the CEO Mr Gries commented “…right now I’d say our order book is not where I want it…I think it’s a little softer than we should be comfortable with”.
- International Fiber Cement (20% of 1Q19 EBIT).
1. Volume and net sales were up +15.0% for the quarter on pcp, driven primarily by the Australian and Philippines businesses.
2. EBIT was up +7.0%, driven by +9% increase in gross profit (however, gross profit margin declined 2.2% driven by higher production costs, e.g. pulp and freight costs) and higher SG&A expenses (primarily higher labour costs).
- FY19 guidance. Management expects full year adjusted net operating profit to be between US$300-340m compared to pre-announcement consensus estimates range US$313-358m. Using the midpoint of these ranges, this equates to a -4.6% miss to consensus expectations. However, the underlying guidance could be much weaker, as the Company expects adjusted effective tax rate for the full year to be 17.1% versus our estimate of 25% (and, in our view, most analysts would be closer to our estimates). This suggests the miss relative to expectations is much higher than ~5%.
ASK THE ANALYST
Our analysts are ready to answer any questions you have
1Q19 results summary…
Figure 3: JHX 1Q19 result summary
Source: Company, BTIG estimates
Relative valuation to peer group…
Figure 4: JHX relative valuation – consensus estimates
Figure 5: JHX Financial Summary
Source: BTIG, Company, Bloomberg
James Hardie Industries Plc (JHX) manufactures building products for new home construction and remodeling. JHX’s products include fibre cement siding, backer board, and pipe. The company operates in the US, Australia and New Zealand.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing email@example.com.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).