Japara Healthcare (JHC)- NEUTRAL
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector : Health Care||52-Week Range: A$1.63 – 2.23|
|Industry: Health Care Facilities||Market Cap: A$470.0m|
We rate JHC as a Neutral for the following reasons:
- Ageing Australian population to provide positive tailwind.
- Ongoing Brownfield and Greenfield developments to drive earnings.
- Acquisition and integration strategy to bring on new revenue streams.
- Strong recurring government revenue base.
- Acquisition target or industry consolidation.
- High entry barriers due to capex, regulatory and accreditation requirements.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Competitive risk from listed and unlisted providers will intensify following the industry’s deregulation.
- Pricing pressures following the industry’s deregulation will put downward pressure on margins.
- Budget cuts to aged care will increase customers’ out-of-pocket expenses, thereby lowering demand.
- Churn risk as new government initiatives will allow customers to switch between providers, with JHC losing out on any unspent funds.
- New projects fail to deliver the earnings uplift.
- Project development delays or cost blow-outs.
Figure 1: JHC portfolio by region
Figure 2: JHC places: metro vs. regional
Japara Healthcare (JHC) reported a weak FY18 result, below guidance provided in February 2018. Group revenue was up +3.0% on pcp to $373.2m as occupancy hits were offset by contributions from new Brownfield and Greenfield projects.
Operating earnings (EBITDA) was down -15.8% to $50.7m, falling below guidance estimates as removal of ACFI indexation in FY18 had a material impact upon wage costs and abnormally severe influenza outbreaks caused falls in occupancy (consistent across the industry).
We do note, however that occupancy levels have returned to historical averages between 94-95% in line with Management’s guidance earlier in the year. Maintain Neutral.
- FY18 headline results.
1. Relative to previous corresponding period (pcp), revenue was up +3.0% to $373.2m, operating earnings were down -15.8% to $50.7m and NPAT dropped -21.5% to $23.3m. Management provided a breakdown of the 15.8% decline in group EBITDA, attributing declines to occupancy pressures and the absence of ACFI indexation. Whilst recent completion of brownfields developments and operational initiatives provided strong earnings contribution on top of recurring EBITDA, earnings were significantly impacted by wage rate increases made material due to the absence of ACFI indexation. Management highlighted that such impacts should disappear in FY19 given that ACFI indexation is expected to recommence in FY19.
2. The Board declared a Final Dividend of 3.75 cpu taking full year dividends to 7.75cps.
- Occupancy hit remains temporary. Whilst occupancy during FY18 was severely impacted by the unusually severe influenza outbreaks, in line with other aged care providers, 2H18 saw recovery to historical average levels in occupancy of 94-95%. As at 30 June 2018, the Company has reported occupancy levels recovering to 94.4%, excluding places offline for refurbishment.
- Update on development pipeline.
1. Development pipeline.JHC spent $108.2m on land & improvement expenditure during FY18, in line with its development plans to deliver around 300 places per annum on a consistent basis. The current development pipeline now consists of over 1,200 net new places to be delivered by the end of FY2022. Whilst it is evident that such developments provide strong earnings uplift, management has not disclosed any recent figures on the earnings contribution from new projects such as Noosa or Riverside Views which opened late 2017.
2. Significant Refurbishment Program. JHC has also focused on improving asset quality of their portfolio, with all homes identified as requiring significant refurbishment to be completed by FY19. This is anticipated to deliver EBITDA uplift between $3.5-4m.
3. Riveria Health Portfolio acquisition completed. In April 2018, the Riveria health portfolio acquisition was completed, increasing Japara’s presence in the Sydney market. Management is confident that this portfolio will increase future growth opportunities by providing optimal sites in NSW.
- FY19 Outlook. Management provided an optimistic FY19 outlook, expecting a 5-10% uplift in EBITDA in FY19 as occupancy continues to normalise to historical averages and ACFI indexation returns. Stronger earnings are expected in the second half due to the timing of developments and operational initiatives.
FY18 RESULTS SUMMARY
Figure 3: JHC FY18 results summary
Source: Company, BTIG estimates; mat = material movement
Figure 4: JHC Financial Summary
Source: BTIG, Company, Bloomberg
Japara Healthcare (JHC) is one of Australia’s largest private sector enterprises in the aged care and retirement industry. The Company own and operate 43 residential aged care facilities and 5 retirement complexes throughout Australia. The Company has over 3,800 operational places and employs over 5,250 employees. Its agencies are accredited with the Australian Aged Care Quality Agency.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).