Scentre Group (SCG) – BUY
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector : Real Estate||52-Week Range: A$3.7 – 4.54|
|Industry: Retail REIT||Market Cap: A$22,358m|
We rate SCG as a Buy for the following reasons:
- Sustainable distribution yield.
- Strong and experienced management team.
- Highest quality property portfolio of any Australian listed retail REIT with SCG’s portfolio heavily weighted to the growth economies of Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne (> 80% of investments in these three cities). SCG’s assets have a cap rate of between 4.25% and 6.25% which is indicative of its quality.
- Expectations of a prolonged low interest rate environment to assist with retail sales and development pipeline.
- Robust development outlook with demand for both retail space.
- Potential recovery in retail sales.
- Potential upside from its >$3bn redevelopment pipeline – if SCG undertakes ~$700m of developments p.a., we expect c$80m of value created per annum. SCG expects in excess of 15% returns (development yields >7.0% and cap rates of ~5.5%; NOI growth with rent escalations of CPI +2% and development yield targets of >7%).
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Sudden increases in interest rates or deterioration in credit/capital markets.
- Any slowdown in demand and net absorption for retail space;
- Any deterioration in property fundamentals especially delays with developments, declining asset values, retailer bankruptcies and rising vacancies.
- Any delays in developments.
- Lower inflation (and deflation) affecting retailers.
Figure 1: SCG’s Portfolio by geographical location
1. Includes construction in progress and assets held for sale
Scentre Group Ltd (SCG) reported solid 1H18 result but FFO of 12.38cps came in below market expectation of 13.00cps, which saw the share price marginally decline.
Funds from Operations (FFO) of $657.2bn equates to 13.38cps, up +3.1%, and a distribution of 11.08cps, up +2%. Comparable net operating income was up +2.5%, with SCG maintaining a strong occupancy rate of 99.5%.
SCG also saw a strong boost to its net asset value, with revaluation uplift of $966m. SCG maintained a strong balance sheet with gearing of 31.9%, liquidity of $2.9bn and interest cover of 3.6x leaves SCG with ample headroom relative to debt covenants.
Moreover, SCG reaffirmed its guidance for FY18, with FFO growth of ~4% and DPS of 22.16cps (up +2% pcp).
We are concerned about the Australian retail environment, overleveraged consumer, and Amazon and other online retailers taking share from bricks and mortar tenants, but given
1. SCG’s solid management team;
2. stable portfolio;
3. dividend yield is still a respectable 5.6%;
4. SCG is currently trading at a discount to its NTA;
5. share buyback of up to $700m (with $30m already purchased) to support the share price.
- Highlights to SCG’s 1H18 results.
1. Funds from Operations (FFO) of $657.2m, which equates to 12.38cps, up +3.1%, and a distribution of 11.08cps, up +2%.
2. SCG retained its strong balance sheet position with total assets of $37.5bn, gearing of 31.9%, liquidity of $2.9bn and interest cover of 3.6x.
3. SCG recognised a revaluation uplift of $966m, underpinned by, “the completion of developments, growth in NOI and improvement in capitalisation rates for high quality assets.”
4. SCG issued €500m ($800m) of 10-year bonds to refinance the €400m floating rate notes that matured in July 2018. SCG extended $2.4bn of existing loan facilities and established a new $900m syndicated bank loan facility.
5. SCG commenced an on-market security buy-back programme of ~$700m, of which $30m has been repurchased to date.
- SCG property fundamentals remain stable and solid. SCG’s property fundamentals remain strong with 1377 lease deals completed, with total area of 217,610sqm. Comparable net operating income increased +2.5% for 1H18, driven primarily by contracted annual rent escalations and maintaining occupancy greater than 99.5%. SCG increased its exposure to the south-eastern suburbs of Sydney by acquiring 50% stake in Westfield Eastgardens.
- Healthy development pipeline. SCG continues to work on pre-development opportunities with a development program exceeding $3bn. Key developments being;
1. Redevelopment of Westfield Newmarket (SCG share: NZ$400m) which will create the leading lifestyle and fashion destination in New Zealand, has commenced. Management noted that the leasing is progressing well.
2. The Westfield Carousel redevelopment in Perth in which SCG has a share of $350m set to open on 30 August 2018.
3. The projects are expected to yield returns of >7% and IRR>15% with management noting, “All active developments are progressing well, with Westfield Carousel, Westfield Coomera, Westfield Kotara and Westfield Tea Tree Plaza to open during the second half of 2018.”
- FY18 Guidance reaffirmed. SCG reaffirmed its FY18 guidance, with FFO growth of ~4.0% and FY18 distribution of 22.16 cents per security, an increase of +2%. Comparable NOI growth is expected to be +2.5%-3% and weighted average interest rate is forecasted to be ~4.4% for FY18.
SCG’s 1H18 Results Summary
Figure 2: Summary of SCG Results
Figure 3: SCG FY18 outlook
Figure 4: SCG Portfolio Fundamentals
Figure 5: SCG Debt Metrics
Figure 6: SCG Financial Summary
Source: : Company, BTIG, Bloomberg
Scentre Group is an Australia Retail A-REIT. The company derives earnings from operating, managing and developing retail assets. SCG has interests in 39 high-quality Westfield malls across Australia and New Zealand, worth ~$33.6bn. 16 of the top 25 performing centres in Australia, are owned by SCG. SCG earmarked ~$3bn in potential development.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).