SCP Property Group (SCP) – NEUTRAL
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector: Financials||52-Week Range: A$2.15 – 2.58|
|Industry: Real Estate||Market Cap: A$1,816.7|
We rate SCP as a Neutral for the following reasons:
- Sustainable distribution yield.
- Strong and experienced management team.
- Current low interest rate environment fosters growth and demand in retail industry.
- Improving trends in supermarket sales growth, with strong performance from Woolworths
- Robust development outlook and potential upside from development pipeline and new acquisitions.
- SCP’s portfolio occupancy rate is 98.4%; has in excess of 1,300 tenants. 53% of gross rent comes from Woolworths and Wesfarmers, and of the other 47%, there is a heavy weighting towards non-discretionary categories.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Likely increases in interest rates or deterioration in credit/capital markets in coming years.
- Digital trend of online shopping reducing demand for retail spaces especially with entrance of Amazon in Australian market.
- Any deterioration in property fundamentals especially delays with developments, declining asset values, retailer bankruptcies and rising vacancies.
- Lower sales growth for WES/Coles and WOW because of Costco and Aldi taking market share.
SCA Property Group’s FY18 results were solid with Funds From Operations (FFO) of $114.3 m, up by +5.4% on the prior year and distribution of $0.139, up +6.1% on the same period last year (equates to a payout ratio of 91%). Net tangible assets (NTA) of $2.30 per unit, is up +4.5% from $2.20 last year (largely due to asset revaluations). This means that SCP’s share price is trading at a ~10.1% premium to its NTA.
We still view the share price in a trading range bound. Whilst the current low interest environment should encourage retail sales (especially specialty sales) as well as the recent pick-up in supermarket sales growth, at current valuations, a discount would be required given that:
1. An overleverage domestic consumer base with minimal to no wage growth;
2. Potential rate hikes to come affect bond-proxy stocks and their yield and debt books;
3. Greater online shopping trend with entrance of Amazon to Australian market; and
4. New entrants in supermarket industry such as Aldi and Costco which may ultimately take away market share from Woolworths and Coles and hence adversely impact rental growth.
- Solid guidance going forward. On the conference call with management, the company highlighted
1. For FY18, “comparable NOI growth of 2.8% [despite] increased electricity costs…[and] We continue to expect solid comparable earnings growth as we progress through our first specialty rent renewal cycle through to FY20”.
2. Guided “for FY19 FFO is 15.6 cpu (2.0% above FY18 actual), and our guidance for FY19 Distributions is 14.3 cpu (2.9% above FY18 actual). The FFO guidance includes the acquisition of Sturt Mall in August 2018 and the launch of SURF 4 in late FY19 but does not include any further acquisitions or divestments”.
- Gearing stable. SCP’s weighted average cost of debt remains stable at 3.8% per annum. SCP’s gearing of 31.2% remains within the Company’s target gearing range of 30% to 40%, and management’s preference for gearing to remain below 35% at this point in the cycle.
- Property portfolio performance across FY18.
1. The portfolio has a weighted average cap rate of 6.33%.
2. Occupancy rate is 98.4% and has remained relatively stable since December 2014 at between 98.4% and 98.8%. Specialty vacancy rate of 4.8% of GLA was in line with management’s target range of 3% to 5% and our expectations.
3. In our view, SCP’s portfolio has relatively young centres with lower specialty rent per square metre than more mature centres (owned by other listed REITs) and SCP’s average specialty occupancy cost at 9.8% appears sustainable (relative to other REITs at ~15-20%).
4. Developments which were completed include Kwinana WA (Coles third anchor) and Mount Gambier SA (Bunnings replacing Masters). Development at Bushland Beach QLD (new Coles anchored neighbourhood centre) completed in July 2018 and Shell Cove NSW (new Woolworths anchored neighbourhood centre) expected to complete in 1H FY19.
- SCP’s retailers are performing well. Considering much talk of Amazon’s forays into Australia (and online taking share off bricks and mortar retailers) and Australian consumers with leverage problems, the surprise in the result would be the performance of SCP’s retailers with robust sales growth of +1.9% for supermarkets (Coles and Woolworths), discount department stores sales have improved, especially for Big W stores. MAT for Food/Liquor grew at +2.2%, Retail Services at +5.6% and Pharmacy at +5.3%.
ASK THE ANALYST
Our analysts are ready to answer any questions you have
Figure 1: SCP’s Property Portfolio Summary
FY18 Results Summary
Figure 2: SCP FY18 Results summary – Profit and Loss
We arrive at our $2.30 valuation based on a blend of asset-based valuation and DCF methodology. Our asset-based valuation arrives at a $2.39 per share (using a conservative average cap rate of 8.0%). Our DCF valuation arrives at a $2.16 per share valuation (using a conservative WACC of 8.2% and long-term growth rate of 2.5%).
Figure 3: SCP Financial Summary
SCA Property Group (SCP) owns a diversified shopping centres portfolio located throughout Australia. The portfolio consists of 77 centres independently valued at $2,511.7 million. SCA Property Group predominantly focuses on convenience retailing through its ownership and management of a quality portfolio of neighborhood and sub-regional shopping centres and freestanding retail assets. ~53% of gross rents are derived from Woolworths (~39%) and Wesfarmers (~14%).
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).