BWP Trust (BWP) – NEUTRAL
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector : Real Estate||52-Week Range: A$2.87 – 3.35|
|Industry: A-REIT||Market Cap: A$2,113.4m|
We rate BWP as a Neutral for the following reasons:
- Stable and sustainable distribution yield of ~6.1%.
- Trades on a ~15% premium to NTA.
- Strong and experienced management team.
- WES stake in BWP (24.8%) provides security against risk of non-renewal of leases by Bunnings.
- High quality property portfolio with long weighted average lease expiry, strong lease covenants, and high occupancy.
- Low interest rate environment is encouraging for the housing industry and hardware sales however any sudden increase in interest rates provides risk to both revenue and debt financing costs.
- Solid balance sheet with low gearing levels.
- Risk of poor execution in redevelopment of assets vacated by Bunnings to other uses.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Any slowdown in demand and net absorption for hardware space.
- Persistent lower inflation (and deflation) affecting retailers.
- Economic conditions affect property fundamentals such as values (cap rates and rental growth), vacancies, retail activity (and hence demand for space at big-box retail sites).
- Risk of non-renewal of leases by Bunnings Group.
BWP Trust (BWP) recorded robust FY18 results despite adverse impacts of Bunnings (Wesfarmers Ltd, ASX: WES) vacating various locations.
Total revenue of $153.4m was up +0.6% on the previous corresponding period (pcp) and distributable profit increased to $114.4m driven by rental growth from the existing property portfolio.
On uplift of its NTA to $2.85, BWP currently trades at a premium of +15.4%. Despite BWP being well placed with:
1. Stable demand for their core portfolio of Bunnings assets; and
2. Balance sheet strength and flexibility,
We maintain our Neutral stance given:
1. Uncertainty regarding few vacated sites;
2. Potential rate hikes which may affect bond-proxy stocks and their yield and debt books; and
3. BWP trades on a premium to NTA but offset by attractive dividend yield of ~5.5%. Neutral.
- Stable growth highlighted in FY18 results, despite headwinds. BWP reported distributable profit of $114.4m, up +1.7% from pcp, with distributions increasing +1.7% to 17.81 cpu, driven by strong rental growth in the property portfolio.
- FY19 outlook – maintain distribution growth. Management has reiterated that it expects to maintain distribution growth at +1.7% despite transition and divestment in its core Bunnings portfolio. Whilst management has noted that there may be some impact on overall rental income as stores are transitioned to alternative uses, capital profits are expected to be used to support distributions as required.
- Rental growth remains stable and lease expiry terms increase. BWP saw like for like rental growth of +2.5%, contrary to the four market rent reviews finalised during the period which saw weighted average +4.1% increase in annual rent. Weighted average lease expiry increased to 5.0 years.
- Revaluations of property portfolio increase NTA value. BWP’s entire portfolio was revalued and saw an uplift of ~$70m to $2,352.7m. The uplift was driven by rental income growth and average cap rate compression across the portfolio. BWP’s NTA increased +4.0% to $2.85, from FY17. One divestment was carried out by BWP in 1H18 in the Dangenong site, sold for $16.4m and four properties have been identified and scheduled for settlement (Altona, Burleigh Heads, Epping & Oakleigh South).
- Reasonable gearing + Debt levels. BWP announced a new $100m forward start 5-year term debt facility with Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, which will commence in May 2019. Further, existing bank facilities have been negotiated to be extended an extra year. Gearing on a debt to total assets basis fell to 19.3% (relatively stable from 20.4% in FY17). Interest cover ratio (EBIT/interest expense) was strong at 6.5x, improving from 6.3x in FY17.
- Four properties underway for divestment. Management has released information regarding the vacant properties which arose following Bunnings’ decision to move to ex-Masters locations. Out of the four, three properties (Altona, Burleigh Heads and Oakleigh South) are under unconditional contracts, with settlement scheduled during FY19. The Epping property is now under a conditional contract to sell in February 2019.
Figure 1: BWP Financial Summary
Source: BTIG, Company, Bloomberg
BWP Trust (BWP) is a real estate investment trust focused on operating, owning, and divestments and acquisitions of large format retailing properties, in particular, Bunnings Warehouses, leased to Bunnings Group Ltd (‘Bunnings’). Bunnings is the leading retailer of home improvement products in Australia and New Zealand and is a major supplier to builders and trades people in the housing industry. BWP is managed by an external responsible entity, BWP Management Ltd who is paid an annual fee based on the gross assets of BWP. Both Bunnings and BWP Management Ltd are wholly-owned subsidiaries of Wesfarmers (WES), one of Australia’s largest listed companies. WES owns ~24.75% of BWP. Currently, BWP is the largest owner of Bunnings Warehouse sites, with a portfolio of ~80 stores. Eight properties have adjacent retail showrooms leases to other retailers. BWP also owns one stand-alone showroom property. The assets have a current value of ~$2,312.0 million, WALE of ~4 to 5 years, 99.9% occupancy rate.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).