Praemium Ltd (PPS) – NEUTRAL
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector: Information Technology||52-Week Range: A$0.39 – 1.07|
|Industry: Internet Software & Service||Market Cap: A$366.4m|
We rate PPS as a Neutral for the following reasons:
- Increasing diversification via geography and product offering.
- Very attractive Australian industry dynamics – Australian superannuation assets expected to grow at 8.1% p.a. to A$9.5 trillion by 2035.
- Disruptive technology and hold leading position to grow funds under advice via SMAs.
- The fallout from the Royal Commission into Australian banking has lead to increased inquiries for PPS’ products/services.
- Growing and maturing SMSF market = more SMSFs demand for tailored and specific solutions.
- Bolt-on acquisitions to supplement organic growth – the Company has not explicitly highlighted any but noted they remain on the lookout.
- Takeover target – we believe PPS represents an attractive takeover target for a larger, less technologically advance player or international financial services company looking for exposure to the Australian market.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Execution risk – delivering on PPS’s strategy or acquisition.
- Contract or key client loss.
- Competitive platforms/offering (new technology).
- Associated risks in relation to system, technology and software.
- Operational risks related to service levels and the potential for breaches.
- Regulatory changes within the wealth management industry.
- Increased competition from major banks and financial institutions.
Figure 1: PPS revenue by segment
Source: Company, FY17 results
Figure 2:PPS revenue by geography
Source: Company, FY17 results
PPS reported a strong FY18 result which again highlighted the ongoing momentum in the business which is benefiting from the strong growth in SMAs.
Relative to previous corresponding period (pcp), group revenue was up +27%, underlying operating EBITDA was up +40% and underlying operating EBIT was up +44%, highlighting the significant operating leverage and scalability in the business.
This performance was driven by +41% growth in SMA revenue and SMA FUA increased by +36% to a record $8.3bn. Whilst rest of the world (UK and Asia) is still a drag on earnings, the losses are moderating and should turn to positive contributors in the near-term. We downgrade our recommendation to Neutral.
Since our last note on the stock on 14 Feb-18, the share price is up +36% versus ASX200 +8%. We have revised our DCF estimates and forecast revenue CAGR of +16% and earnings CAGR of +32% over the next 5 years.
Our revised DCF valuation and price target is $1.00. Trading on a PE-multiple of 44x for FY19E and 31x for FY20E, on our numbers, we believe the near-term growth trajectory is adequately priced in.
- FY18 numbers compared to prior year.
1. Solid top line growth of +27% driven by SMA (up +41%) with positive contributions from Portfolio Services (up +5%) and Planning software (up +3%).
2. In terms of revenue by geography, Australia (up +19%) and the UK (up +44%) were the main drivers. Asia, whilst had strong growth, is still immaterial at the group level.
3. Underlying group EBITDA was up +39% to $8.8m, driven by moderating losses in the UK and Asia, whilst Australia saw EBITDA grow by +17% (with margin down slightly to 45%).
4. FUA growth over the year was again solid, with Australia platform up +45% to $5.6bn and International platform & Smartfunds up +20% to $2.7bn. Total FUA grew +36% to $8.3bn.
5. Operating cash flows was strong in line with higher operating earnings (EBITDA).
6. Balance sheet in a solid position with $12.1m in cash.
- Investment is a positive. Management continues to invest in the business to drive top line growth, with the Company increasing its expenditure on sales & marketing and information technology as a percentage of revenue. Further the Company also accelerated its R&D investment in proprietary technology, with $2.1m to expand PPS platform. This expense will be capitalized. In our view, expanding its cost base is not a negative if it supports group FUA growth and revenue base. The Company can still afford to forgo margin at this stage, in order to increase its share of the pie.
- Competition will pick up. PPS’ growth trajectory is not without risk, as we do expect competitors to also increase investment into their respective platforms and compete on pricing. This is likely to bring into question the long-term growth trajectory in margins.
- SMAs growth a structural story, in our view. Through its platform, PPS offers separately managed accounts (SMAs). We see this as a major positive for PPS for two reasons:
1. investors can easily buy international investments (something that is not readily available to investors through some other platforms from our understanding) and more importantly
2. we believe investors will increasingly gravitate towards SMAs given the flexibility it offers versus clients’ money being locked with one asset managers and/or investor style.
ASK THE ANALYST
Our analysts are ready to answer any questions you have
FY18 Results Summary…
Key headline numbers for the full year versus pcp are presented in the table below.
Figure 3: Key FY18 results
Source: Company, BTIG
We have used a DCF methodology to arrive at our valuation and price target.
DCF Val $1.00 per share. We forecast cash flows out to 5-years and then apply a terminal value. The DCF method allows us to apply our assumptions around top line growth and margin assumptions. From our forecast period, we estimate revenue to grow at a CAGR of 16.3% versus market growth (SMAs) of +35% p.a. Further, we forecast earnings to grow by +32.2% over the same period (reflecting a highly scalable platform). Other key DCF assumptions: risk-free rate of 4.0%, ERP of 5.5%, beta of 1.2 and long-term growth rate of 3.0%. We also assume zero leverage in the capital structure. Using these assumptions, we arrive at a DCF valuation and price target of A$1.00.
Whilst we have not used PE and EV/EBITDA methodologies to arrive at our price target, for the sake of completeness we have provided these valuations below. For our PE-multiple and EV/EVBITDA multiple we have used peer group average using consensus numbers. It is worth highlighting if we were to use an equal weighted average of the three valuation methodologies, we would arrive at a valuation of A$0.94 per share.
Figure 4: PPS relative valuations – EV/EBITDA and PE
Source: BTIG estimates, Bloomberg
Figure 5: PPS Financial Summary
Source: BTIG estimates, Company, Bloomberg
Praemium Limited (PPS) is an Australian fintech company which provides portfolio administration, investment platforms and financial planning tools to the wealth management industry. The Company has offices around the globe (including Australia, London, Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Dubai) and supports over 700 clients, which range from small corporations to large institutional clients.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).