Qube Holdings Ltd (QUB) – NEUTRAL
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector : Transportation and Logistics||52-Week Range: A$2.13 – 2.89|
|Industry: Industrials||Market Cap: A$4,494m|
We rate QUB as a Neutral for the following reasons:
- Attractive assets which are strategically located.
- Leveraged to improving economic growth (e.g. commodity markets, new passenger vehicle sales).
- Additional project work in future years, leading to improved margins.
- Successfully leasing out the warehouse space at Moorebank Logistics Park and offering logistics services at incremental margins (e.g. recently announced Target Australia deal and agreements under-progress with another prospective tenant).
- Technological advances (and automations) at its ports and operations leading to better cost outcomes and improved margins.
- Potential bolt-on acquisitions to supplement organic growth.
- Strong balance sheet position – current gearing of 19% below management’s target range of 30-40%.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Downturn in the domestic economy (or key end markets such as agriculture, retail), leading to excess capacity and pricing pressure.
- Margin pressure due to costs pressures.
- Value destructive acquisition (dilutive to earnings and a distraction for management).
- Competitive pressures leading to margin erosion – Logistics industry is a highly competitive market.
- QUB does not meet market expectation in achieving capacity utilization at Moorebank Logistics Park.
Qube Holdings (QUB) reported a solid FY18 result, in our view, with underlying revenue up +9.1%, underlying operating earnings (EBITDA) up +3.6%, and underlying net profit after amortization (NPATA) up +6.0% to $122.8m.
Whilst the Moorebank Project has experienced some delays and raised disputes with land preparation works, in our view this does not change the long-term prospects for the project. On a positive note, group result was driven by an unexpected high contribution from Patrick.
The Board declared a special fully franked dividend of 2.0 cps along with full year dividend of 5.5 cps. The special dividend speaks to management’s confidence in the outlook for the company and operating cash flows.
- FY18 Results by division:
1. Ports and Bulk.In FY18, Ports and Bulk delivered underlying revenue growth of +13.2% to $840.7m and underlying EBITDA growth of +19.2% to $87.6m, driven by strong motor vehicle import volumes and emergence of new project cargo work which is relatively unsustainable in our view, due to the short tern nature of such high margin projects.
2. Logistics. The Logistics division was impacted by several headwinds, with EBITDA down -5.0% on pcp, despite revenue growth of 7.9%. Amidst a competitive environment, the division struggled against the impact of the Company’s exit from Aurizon interstate operations as well as the end of the lease at the Sydney Haulage site. Management has provided sources of future upside for the division, namely securing new customers and the near competition of a new warehouse in Altona. Following the appointment of a new COO in FY17, management has decided to integrate the divisions to achieve cost savings and operational benefits across the two divisions going forward.
3. Infrastructure and Property Division (formerly Strategic Assets). Underlying revenue for the division rose +73.5% to $95.4m and underlying earnings rose +117.8% to $33.1m, attributable to the first full year contribution from AAT following QUB’s acquisition of the remaining 50% stake in November 2016.
- Update on the Moorebank Project. Management has noted some delays to MLP however affirm that these should not have a material impact on project returns. Key updates:
1. Whilst approval for the East Precinct of the project was granted in FY18, the project has now been delayed due to approval delays for the West Precinct from the RMS which is now expected to be received by the first quarter of 2019.
2. Management has raised its expectations of minimum project costs from its previous estimate of $400m to be around $642m.
3. Delays in receiving regulatory approvals for rail terminals have delayed commencement of rail operations by 3-6 months from the estimated delivery date of March 2019, which according to management should not impact the project, as the rail link is still expected to be operational before warehousing operations commence.
- Unexpectedly strong contribution from Patrick. The surprise to QUB’s results largely came from the performance of Patrick, exceeding Management’s expectations all round. Volumes increased by +15.6% compared to market growth of +8.4%, benefiting from organic growth of existing customers, new contracts secured during FY18 as well as subcontracted volumes from other stevedores. Underlying revenue was up +21.1% to $576.1m and the Company’s share of underlying NPATA rose +28.4% to $34.8m.
FY18 RESULTS SUMMARY
Figure 1: QUB FY18 results summary
Figure 2: QUB peer group analysis – consensus estimates
Figure 3: QUB Financial Summary
Source: BTIG, Company, Bloomberg
Qube Holdings Limited (QUB) is a diversified logistics and infrastructure company providing logistics services for clients in both import and export cargo supply chains. The Company operates three main divisions: Ports & Bulk (integrated port services, bulk material handling and bulk haulage), Logistics (largest integrated third party container logistics provider in Australia), and Strategic Assets (investing and developing future infrastructure).
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).