Virtus Health Ltd (VRT) – Buy
Virtus Health Ltd (VRT) reported FY18 results missed analyst expectations, with net income of $30.7m -2.8% below consensus at $31.6m
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector: Healthcare||52-Week Range: A$4.97 – 5.93|
|Industry: Healthcare Services||Market Cap: A$461.4m|
We rate VRT as a Buy for the following reasons:
- Ageing Australian population and increased age of mothers (especially with the trend of more females choosing career over family until their early thirties) will provide favourable demographic tailwinds.
- Potential accretive acquisitions domestically and internationally. Domestic acquisition of other laboratories will consolidate VRT geographic expansion strategy along the eastern seaboard of Australia.
- Earnings increasingly becoming diversified as international segments expected to become a larger contributor.
- Solid balance sheet with flexibility to execute expansion strategies.
- New management for Victorian business to turn results around.
- Market-leading position with ~40% of domestic market share.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Regulatory risk as changes in government funding may increase patient’s out-of-pocket expenses and thereby decrease volume demand.
- Fluctuations in the availability and size of Medicare rebates may negatively influence the number of IVF cycles administered and overall industry revenue
- Weakening cycle activity continues to adversely impact revenues.
- Increased competition from low-cost providers.
- Weakening economic activity resulting in increased unemployment leading to less disposable income to be spent in IVF treatment.
- Execution of international forays goes poorly.
- Population of males and females with fertility problems decline.
Figure 1: Industry Market Share
Virtus Health Ltd (VRT) reported FY18 results missed analyst expectations, with net income of $30.7m -2.8% below consensus at $31.6m.
Key highlights include:
1. Revenue up +2.2% to $262.1m on prior corresponding period (pcp) but disappointingly group EBITDA was flat at $65.0m.
2. Australian segment EBITDA up 1.6% to $66.8m.
3. Significant improvements to operations completed in FY18 saw VRT’s Diagnostics segment EBITDA growth of +9.1%.
4. International segment saw earnings and cycle growth with EBITDA up +29.5% to $9.2m.
5. NPAT was up +9.4% to $30.8m over the pcp.
6. Final dividend 12cps fully franked.
7. Annualized leverage ratio is 2.4x adjusted Group EBITDA.
Our Buy recommendation is based on a long-term investment thesis:
1. The Company controls ~40% of the domestic market share;
2. Medicare data shows that long-term demographic drivers for IVF remains strong with short term volatility often equating to pent-up demand.
VRT trades on undemanding valuations of 12.9x PE20, 5.1% dividend yield.
- Australian Segment – saw weak conditions. VRT achieved consistent Australian ARS performance despite a softening of the domestic market in 2H18, with Australian eastern state markets in which VRT operates declining 0.7%. Cycle volume in VRT’s Australian clinics decreased -3.4% due to low cost competition in Queensland’s economically challenged market and new competition in a contracting Tasmanian market. Virtus’ IVF Australia, Melbourne IVF and “The Fertility Centre” (“TFC”) clinics in NSW and Victoria achieved cycle volume and market share growth.
- Diagnostics – was the highlight in our view. Revenue increased +3.6% in FY18, translating to +9.1% EBITDA growth over the pcp driven by “increase in the internal utilisation of genetic testing and screening in ARS, an expanding pathology testing platform and collection centre footprint and significant operational improvements”.
- Day Hospitals – poor performer. Despite increased IVF activity of 6.6% from strong IVF first half volumes and higher frozen embryo transfers, VRT’s Day Hospitals saw a quieter year largely attributable to weaker non-IVF revenue (decline -5.3%) in VRT’s Queensland day hospitals.
- International Segment; management remains in search for potential acquisitions. The segment reported revenue growth of +17.6% to $44m. Complete Fertility (UK) and Trianglen (Denmark) was added to VRT in FY18 with management expecting both to be EPS accretive in FY19. VRT also increased its ownership in the Sims Group in Ireland to 85%, during FY18. VRT’s Singapore operation delivered positive EBITDA of SG$350,000 (A$321,000) compared to a prior year EBITDA loss of SG$144,000 (A$120,000). According to management, “International revenue now sits at 17% of Virtus’ total revenue… [with] ambition is for this to reach 30% through organic growth in our international clinics and our continued targeted strategy of international acquisitions in the UK and Europe”.
Figure 2: Peer group comparables – consensus
Source: Company, BTIG, Bloomberg
Figure 3: VRT Financial Summary
Source: Company, BTIG, Bloomberg
Virtus Health Ltd (ASX: VRT) is a global provider of assisted reproductive services. The group’s main activity is providing patients with Assisted Reproductive Services such as specialized diagnostics, fertility clinics and day hospital services. It has 116 fertility specialists who are supported by over 1100 professional staff and is the largest network and provider of fertility services in Australia and Ireland, with a growing presence in Singapore. Virtus is one of three major players which collectively control more than 80% of market share and was the first infertility treatment company in the world to float on the stock market.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).