Bellamy’s Australia Ltd (BAL)– BUY
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector: Consumer Staples||52-Week Range: A$7.33 – 23.07|
|Industry: Food Products||Market Cap: A$1,205.7m|
We rate BAL as a Buy due to the following drivers:
- Targeted and distinctive product portfolio, with a solid brand.
- Strong consumer demand especially growth in China for infant formula product.
- BAL has a solid balance sheet with net cash position.
- BAL has limited requirements for investments in fixed assets.
- Moving into new emerging markets, such as Vietnam.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Chinese demand underperforming market expectations.
- Disruption to BAL’s milk supply.
- Increased competition, including private labels & competitors developing products or branding that erode the differentiation of BAL’s branded products from other dairy products.
- China regulatory risk that will impact short term margins or if BAL fails to attain appropriate approvals.
- Increased competition, including private labels & competitors developing products or branding.
- Disruption to BAL supply chain as BAL relies on third party contract manufacturers for processing, production, and distribution.
- Execution risk surrounding the entry into a new market (losses could drag on impacting group performance).
BAL reported solid FY18 results which signalled that operations are turning around fortunes (achieving strong growth in revenue, earnings and cashflow).
Key highlights include:
1. Sales increased +37% to $329m driven by mainly volume with +48% Australian label growth. As the market expects, 2H18 revenues were impacted by no sales of Chinese label formula given delays in SAMR registration. Management also disappointingly highlighted difficult market conditions in recent months with slower China cross-border growth and increased product availability from Australian and NZ competitors.
2. Normalised EBITDA increased +65% to $71m (excluding the $6.0m one-off for regulatory transition and versus $43m in FY17 which excludes one-off items such as $27.5m Fonterra supply-chain reset payment).
3. Gross margin improved 5.8% points versus 2H17 to 42.5% in 2H18.
4. Balance sheet remains solid with no debt, $88m in debt and $39m in FY18 supply chain investments.
We upgrade our recommendation to Buy on valuation grounds (based on our conservative numbers at the lower end consensus).
- FY19 guidance – short term weakness but medium and longer-term fundamentals remain intact. Management expects Australia Label to see “up to 10% year on year growth” in revenue as FY19 group EBITDA margin continue at 2H18 normalised levels of 22-25%. Management has seen “more competitive trading environment for [their] Australian-label business in recent months and expect more moderate sales growth in FY19 as a result”. BAL continues to execute its ‘premium brand strategy’ which in FY19 will “include the roll-out of a brand refresh, including nutritional enhancements, product line extensions and regulatory labelling transition across food and formula”. Separately, in terms of medium term guidance, according to management, BAL has laid the foundations to build a “+$500m revenue business by FY21” which will be further detailed at the upcoming investor day after the AGM.
- SAMR registration on track. BAL submitted its SAMR (previously CFDA) application in December 2017. Note that the CFDA was part of a restructuring process and a new regulatory body, SAMR was established. Registration relates to Chinese label formula sold in the China offline channel (6% of FY18 revenue). SAMR registration of Chinese-label formula continues to progress and management “remain confident that registration will be achieved”.
- Forays into Vietnam in 1H19. BAL highlighted the positive demographics and thematic of Vietnam and its baby formula and food market noting:
1. Large population of 96m;
2. Vietnam apparently has the fastest growing upper and middle class in South East Asia from 25m in 2015 to 33m in 2020 with 1.6m annual births (versus 300k in Australia and ~17m in China).
3. In terms of the Vietnamese baby formula and food market, Global Data estimates the size to be ~$1bn and growing at 15-20% per annum (versus China at ~$30bn).
4. Vietnam has similar concerns about food safety, quality and nutrition.
FY18 RESULTS SUMMARY
Figure 1: BAL Financial Summary
Source: Company, BTIG, Bloomberg
Bellamy’s Australia Ltd (BAL) is a Tasmanian company which distributes, and markets certified organic infant formula and food products across Australia, China, and SE Asia.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing [email protected].
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).