IRESS Ltd (IRE) – NEUTRAL
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector : Technology||52-Week Range: A$9.17 – $14.20|
|Industry: Information Services||Market Cap: A$2,336.5m|
We rate IRE as a Neutral for the following reasons:
- We have no doubt that IRE is a quality company with strong management team however in our view, much of the upside is captured in its share price and trading multiples and hence IRE is trading range bound.
- ASX also retains its 18.6% stake.
- Growing quantum of superannuation/pension bodes well for IRE’s clients, which bodes well for demand for IRE’s products.
- IRE’s products are firmly entrenched within Australia, UK and South African financial market players (i.e. IRESS terminals and XPLAN). For instance, in ANZ Wealth Management segment, increasing dynamic of self-licensing by practices, high client retention and increasing demand for integrated solution, are all key revenue themes. Over 90% of revenue is recurring.
- Strong continuing momentum in the core growth markets of ANZ Wealth Management, and South Africa and the UK.
- New product roll-out providing growth opportunities.
- Solid balance sheet and capable management team.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Less subscription due to declining sell-side and buy-side demand as well as financial planners.
- Competitive platforms/offering (new disruptive technology); improved features and innovation from competition.
- Associated risks in relation to system, technology and software.
- Regulatory and structural changes in the finance sector impacting clients and their needs.
- Deterioration in equity and debt markets which may have a negative impact on terminal demand.
- Further deterioration with its Canadian segment.
Figure 1: IRE Revenue by Segment
IRE reported as expected 1H18 results where management reaffirmed FY18 guidance.
On the analyst call, management noted “revenue growth was led by a strong contribution by wealth management and lending, while [a] focus on operating efficiencies resulted in flat cost growth and margin expansion… segment profit margin in the first half was 29.4% compared to 28.1% pcp”. Other key highlights include:
1. Group revenue of $229.7m was +8% higher on 1H17 and +5% on 2H17 (+6% and +3% respectively, on constant currency basis).
2. Reported NPAT of $32.0m, +8% on 1H17 and +6% on 2H17.
3. Group Segment Profit of $67.5 m, +13% on 1H17 and +3% on 2H17 (+11% and flat respectively, on a constant currency basis).
4. IRE maintained strong cash conversion of 99%, recurring revenue ~90%, leverage ratio of 1.4x segment profit.
On the analyst call, FY18 reaffirmed guidance stating “2018 Segment Profit growth expected to be in the range of 3-7% on a constant 2017 currency basis…If average first half FX rates continue for the remainder of the year, reported Segment Profit for 2018 will be in the range of $131m – $136m representing growth of 5-9% from reported Segment Profit in 2017”.
Indeed, on the analyst call, management stated “…firstly, we do continue to closely watch regulatory and market structure developments in Australia and are well positioned, and we are assisting clients to respond and adapt to a changing environment. Secondly, earnings momentum in the UK is expected to increase in the second half, with client projects underway and a good pipeline of opportunities ahead.
Finally, we reaffirm the guidance provided in February”. On our conservative numbers, IRE trades on 29.2x PE20, 3.3% dividend yield. We have no doubt that IRE is a quality company with strong management team however in our view, much of the upside is captured in its share price and trading multiples and hence IRE is trading range bound. Neutral.
- APAC Financial Markets (~25% of revenue). Revenue of A$56.9m (direct contribution of A$40.8m) were marginally lower on pcp driven by buy-side demand for IRE’s portfolio solution, offset by continued headwinds in sell-side. According to management, deployment of online trading solution in Singapore is providing further opportunities in Asia.
- ANZ Wealth Management (~29% of revenue). Revenue of $67.0m and direct contribution of $49.5m were +9% and +8% higher respectively on pcp driven by organic revenue growth from increased number of users of CRM, portfolio and financial modelling tools.
- United Kingdom (~25% of revenue). Revenue of £32.4m and direct contribution of £20.7m were +6% higher on pcp driven by momentum in IRE’s simplified XPLAN offering for small and medium businesses. According to management “revenue growth rate in the second half is expected to increase reflecting client projects already underway”. Management noted “we’ve had significant client activity in the first half, although reported revenue growth does not fully reflect the first half’s activity. Revenue momentum is expected to increase in the second half”.
- South Africa (~10% of revenue). Revenue and direct contribution were +4% and +3% respectively on pcp (local currency) despite decline in standalone market-data terminals and revenue being impacted by the delay in planned changes to trading and settlement infrastructure at the JSE (Johannesburg Stock Exchange). According to management on the analyst call, “this is expected to push some revenue growth into 2019”. Interestingly, IRE secured a new contract to deploy a wealth and trading solution to a tier one financial services business, which bodes well for earnings. Management expects “revenue in the second half to be flat on the first half”.
- Lending (~7% of revenue). Revenue of £8.4m increased +32% on pcp due to a “implementation activity driving earnings growth and margin expansion”. Direct contribution of £6.8m was 39% higher on pcp as IRE transitions to a subscription model with recurring revenue increasing to ~20% of total revenue (versus ~15% in 2017).
- Canada (~4% of revenue). Revenue and direct contribution were +3% and +10% on pcp (local currency) driven by “successful wealth deployments to a number of new clients with a good pipeline”.
IRE FY18 RESULTS SUMMARY
Figure 2: IRE 1H18 Group Results
Figure 3: IRE 1H18 Segment Results (in constant currency)
Figure 4: IRE Financial Summary
Source: Company, BTIG, Bloomberg
IRESS Ltd (IRE) is an ASX-listed company that specialise in software for the finance industry, with a focus on financial markets, wealth management and superannuation. IRE operates in the Asia-Pacific, UK, South Africa and Canada.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing email@example.com.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).