WiseTech Global (WTC) – Sell
WTC reported a very strong FY18 result, which came in ahead of consensus and company guidance. Compared to previous corresponding period (pcp) revenue was up +44.1%, operating earnings (EBITDA) up +44.7%, and underlying NPAT up +26.6%.
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector : Information Technology||52-Week Range: A$6.96 – 25.00|
|Industry: Software||Market Cap: A$7,134.3m|
We rate WTC as a Sell for the following reasons:
- Trading at a significant premium to domestic and global peers – premium of 110% on one year forward revenue estimates (BTIG).
- FY18 guidance confirmation at the 1H18 result effectively was a downgrade given this included recent acquisitions.
- Organic growth could slow, which may no longer warrant such a lofty valuation.
- Management noting that revenues from recent acquisitions actually declined and offered little margin. This means the return from these acquisitions could take longer than management’s expectations.
- Competitive threat (new product/technological advancements).
- Disruption to technology (data breach).
- Adverse currency movements.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Market leading position (significantly ahead of the nearest competitor).
- Growing global trade and increasingly globalization of products sold.
- High degree of revenue visibility & low customer annual attrition rates.
- R&D spend will ensure product/services are enhancing WTC products.
- Scalability of the business model.
Figure 1: WTC Revenue by Region
WTC reported a very strong FY18 result, which came in ahead of consensus and company guidance. Compared to previous corresponding period (pcp) revenue was up +44.1%, operating earnings (EBITDA) up +44.7%, and underlying NPAT up +26.6%
FY18 revenue of $221.6m was ahead of consensus estimate of $215m and EBITDA of $78m was ahead of estimate of $74.7m. Further, management provided a solid outlook for FY19, noting that they expect FY19 EBITDA to rise by +28–35% year-on-year to $100-105m.
FY19 revenue guidance of $315–325m is ahead of the pre-announcement consensus estimates of $287.1m. The guidance implies EBITDA margins to decline by ~300bps, with management noting that acquisitions are typically lower margin and it takes a number of years to increase the margin to WTC group level.
We have updated our earnings estimates and valuations for latest peer group multiples, which has resulted in our PT increasing to $16.60. We continue to highly rate WTC, its platform, strong management team and opportunities from increased market penetration, new product uptake and global growth opportunities. We appreciate given the growth opportunity at hand it may be difficult to apply conventional valuation methodologies.
Nonetheless, we believe we are adequately accounting for significant growth over a 10-year period and then into perpetuity in our valuation. We still struggle to meet the current share price. We maintain sell given our price target is substantially below the current price.
- FY18 headline results. Overall, a very strong result with group revenue up 44.1% to $221.6m and representing a CAGR of +41% over the last 5 years. Operating earnings (EBITDA) growth of +44.7% to $78m was largely in line with revenue growth rate, with margins stable at 35%. Group EBITDA has see +43% CAGR over the last 5 years. Both revenue and EBITDA exceeded management’s full year guidance. Underlying NPAT was up +26.6%, much as less than earnings growth, due to higher D&A, interest and tax expense.
- M&A set to continue, however a margin detraction in the short-term. Strategic bolt on acquisitions again played an important role in expanding WTC’s presence over the world in FY18. During the year, the Company made 22 acquisitions in Europe, Asia and the Americas of leading customs or freight forwarder providers. Management noted that these targeted acquisitions provide safer, faster and stronger entry into new key markets. In the short term, the acquisitions to adversely impact EBITDA margins, however management is confident to increasing these margins towards WTC group level over time.
- Outlook. Management expects FY19 revenue to be in the range of $315-325m, representing growth of +42-47% year on year, and EBITDA of $100-105m, that is growth of +28-35%. The guidance implies EBITDA margin of 31.7 – 32.3% versus FY18 margin of 35.2%.
- Our valuation. We have updated our earnings estimates post the results release and now sit slightly above management’s guidance for FY19 at the revenue and EBITDA line. We now ascribe a 50% premium to WTC’s EV/Sales valuation versus peers compared to the current share price implying a premium of approximately 110% (on our estimates). We use a DCF ($14.71) and EV/Sales ($18.55) valuations to arrive at our blended valuation of A$16.60 (rounded to the nearest ten cents).
FY18 RESULTS SUMMARY…
Figure 3: FY18 P&L and drivers
Source: Company, BTIG
FY18 headline results. Overall, a very strong result with group revenue up 44.1% to $221.6m and representing a CAGR of +41% over the last 5 years. Operating earnings (EBITDA) growth of +44.7% to $78m was largely in line with revenue growth rate, with margins stable at 35%. Group EBITDA has seen +43% CAGR over the last 5 years. Both revenue and EBITDA exceeded management’s full year guidance. Underlying NPAT was up +26.6%, driven by higher D&A, interest and tax expense.
Outlook. Management expects FY19 revenue to be in the range of $315-325m, representing growth of +42-47% year on year, and EBITDA of $100-105m, that is growth of +28-35%. The guidance implies EBITDA margin of 31.7 – 32.3% versus FY18 margin of 35.2%.
VALUATION – DCF (A$14.71) / EV/SALES (A$18.55) …
We have update our earnings estimates post the results release and now sit slightly above management’s guidance for FY19 at the revenue and EBITDA line. We now ascribe a 50% premium to WTC’s EV/Sales valuation versus peers compared to the current share price implying a premium of approximately 110% (on our estimates).
Figure 4: EV/Revenue multiple valuations
Source: BTIG estimates, Bloomberg
Figure 5: WTC Global SaaS comps group
Figure 6: WTC Financial Summary
Source: BTIG estimates, Company, Bloomberg
WiseTech Global (WTC), founded in October 1994, is a leading provider of software to the logistics services industry globally. WTC develops, sells and implement software solutions that enable logistics service providers to facilitate the movement and storage of goods and information domestically and internationally. WTC’s software assists their customers to better address and adapt to the complexities of the logistics industry while increasing their productivity, reducing costs and mitigating risks. WTC services over 6,000 customers across more than 115 countries with offices in Australia, New Zealand, China, Singapore, South Africa, United Kingdom and the United States.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).