Cleanaway Waste Management (CWY) – NEUTRAL
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector : Industrials||52-Week Range: A$1.30 – 2.08|
|Industry: Waste Management||Market Cap: A$4,176.0m|
We rate CWY as a Neutral for the following reasons:
- Trading at fair value relative to valuation of domestic and global peers.
- Solids segment is growing at slightly GDP plus, with potential to benefit as CWY’s sales team focuses more on price increases.
- Liquids and Industrial Services expected to turnaround as well as benefit from strong oil prices.
- Solid balance sheet with targets to push capex spend lower than D&A.
- High barriers to entry – hard to replicate assets & solid margin business.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Weaker than expected performance for its Solids segment.
- Little price increases possible for Solids segment.
- Poor performance in Liquids and Industrial Services.
- Slow to no recovery in oil price.
Figure 1: Revenue by Segments
CWY reported strong FY18 results amidst changing regulatory environments in National Sword Policy and Recycling, with organic growth experienced across all segment revenues, earnings (EBIT) and margins.
Key highlights included:
1. Underlying net revenue up +15.9% to $1564.9m.
2. Underlying EBITDA up +12.7% to $339.7m.
3. Underlying EBIT up +16.4% to $166.4m.
4. Underlying NPAT up +26.2% to $97.8m.
5. Cash flow performance was strong with operating cash flow up +16.7% and free cash flow up +86.6%.
The acquisition of Toxfree Solutions has been completed and Management reiterated that it will deliver ~$35m in synergies over 2 years. Whilst no quantitative guidance was provided by CWY, management did provide positive comments on CWY’s future earnings profile.
We have no doubt about the quality of the management team and assets and that CWY should provide consistent and stable returns (barring any unforeseen issues), however, we reiterate our Neutral recommendation on valuation grounds.
- Solid FY18 results despite experiencing industry-wide headwinds.
1. On an underlying basis, net revenue grew +15.9%, EBITDA grew +12.7% and EBIT grew +16.4% on pcp. NPAT rose +26.2% on pcp, despite downward pressure as a result of industry wide changes to recycling and commodities markets which increased costs of sorting material and negatively impacted commodity prices.
2. The Company announced a fully franked final dividend of 1.4 cpu with DRP open.
3. Cash flow performance was strong with operating cash flow up +16.7% and free cash flow up +86.6%.
- Solids Collections (~57% of revenue). Net revenue for Solids Collections increased +12% to $907.9m, EBITDA increased +2.9% to $165.5m and EBIT grew +2.0% to $100.8m. Results were attributed to both volume and price increases across major solid waste collection categories. Management highlighted that pricing remains competitive in major cities, with collection margins experiencing downward pressure during the year due to industry wide changes to recycling markets. Major contracts signed in FY18 are expected to underpin continued revenue growth in FY19.
- Solids Post Collections (~15% of revenue). The segment recorded increase in net revenue by +25.8% to $232.8m, EBITDA increase by +21.3% to $116.6m and EBIT increase of +45.4% to $56.4m on pcp. Strong results were driven by increased activity levels in Melbourne, with the South East Melbourne Transfer Station becoming fully operational. FY19 should see contribution of new transfer station in Erskine Park (scheduled to be completed by 1H19).
- Liquids & Industrial Services (~28% of revenue). Compared to pcp, the segment recorded an increase in net revenue of +3.8% to $440.2m, increase in EBITDA by +7.0% to $63.0m and EBIT gains of +10.6% to $35.5m. Management expects more improvement in this division, given synergies that will be gained following Toxfree acquisition in May 2018.
- Acquisition of Toxfree completed and integration underway. The acquisition of Toxfree was completed during 2H18 and management is certain that integration will take two years, delivering $35m in synergies. In our view, management has a clear strategy for this integration with its six major pillars to deliver success and we believe this will provide significant upside given the productivity benefits of the acquisition.
- No quantitative FY19 guidance, but Management confident about growth. CWY did not provide quantitative guidance in FY18 results, however Management remains confident that all three operating segments will report improved earnings in FY19.
FY18 RESULTS SUMMARY…
Figure 2: CWY Results Overview – Group level (Underlying Results)
Figure 3: CWY Financial Summary
Cleanaway Waste Management Ltd (CWY) is Australia’s leading total waste management services company. CWY has a nation-wide footprint in solid, liquid, hydrocarbon and industrial services (with ~200 solid, liquid, hydrocarbon and industrial services depots and processing facilities across the country servicing well over 100,000 customers. CWY operates three core segments: (1) Solids (Collection) operates the largest network of collections vehicles in Australia operating from more than 100 depots, servicing 90+ municipal councils; (2) Solids (Post Collections) has one of the largest post collections asset bases in Australia with a growing network of transfer stations and landfill assets; (3) Liquids & Industrial Services encompasses the largest hydrocarbons recycling business in Australia.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).