Computershare Ltd (CPU) – BUY
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector : Financials||52-Week Range: A$ 13.46 – 18.48|
|Industry: Diversified Financials||Market Cap: A$10,044.7m|
We rate CPU as a Buy for the following reasons:
- CPU is globally diversified with a revenue model that generates predictable recurring revenues and strong free cash flow generation.
- Two main organic growth engines in mortgage servicing and employee share plans should lead to organic EPS growth.
- Expectations of margin improvement via cost reductions program with A$85-A$100m per annum cost-out identified in Stage 1 and Stage 2, with Stage 3 of cost outs yet quantified.
- Leveraged to rising interest rates on client balances, corporate action and equity market activity.
- Potential for earnings derived from non-share registry opportunities due to higher compliance and IT requirements.
- Solid free cash flow and deleveraging balance sheet.
- $200m buy-back to resume in March 2018.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Increased competition from competitors such as recently listed Link and Equiniti which affect margins.
- Cost cuts are not delivered in accordance with market expectations.
- Sub-par performance in any of its segments, especially mortgage servicing (Business Services) as a result of higher regulatory and litigation risks; Register and Employee Share Plans as a result of subdued activity.
Figure 1 : CPU Earnings (EBITDA) Breakdown by Segment
CPU produced a stellar FY18 result which showed +14.1% Management EPS growth in constant currency (CC) terms to 62.1cps over the previous corresponding period (pcp) (a record profit for CPU and the fastest rate of earnings growth since FY09).
Dividends per share increased +10.5% to 21cps. According to management, earnings were driven by “good progress in Mortgage Services, increased event activity in Stakeholder Relationship Management and Class Actions, cyclical recovery in Corporate Actions, improved margin income and disciplined cost management”.
- Solid FY19 guidance. Management pointed out that in FY19, CPU expects “to deliver around 10% growth in Management EPS… [driven by] stronger contributions in particular from Mortgage Services, Employee Share Plans and margin income… [and] continue to execute our cost out programs, while the outlook for Corporate Actions and some of the large events fee income at this stage looks slightly more subdued than in FY18”.
- Margin expansion was a key highlight… EBITDA margins increased by 150 basis points to 27.1%. Margin income assisted, rising to $175.5m, up 28.9% (which shows how CPU’s earnings are leveraged to rising interest rates).
- Mortgage Services – the highlight. EBITDA of $122.4m was up +65.4% over the pcp, driven by CPU’s US mortgage services business which saw revenue grow +19.0% (with UPB up +35.7% to $81bn). CPU’s UK mortgage services saw flat revenue growth however management expects “significant synergy benefits to be realised in FY19 and FY20”. CPU remains well placed with challenger banks to grow new servicing volumes with its book expected to turn to positive organic growth in FY20-FY21.
- Employee Share Plans. EBITDA of $52.7m was -7.1% lower over the pcp and margin of 23.7% was -190bps lower. This was affected by lower fee revenues and margin income and ‘investing for future’ program costs.
- Register Maintenance and Corporate Actions. The segment saw solid EBITDA growth of +9.7% over the pcp and margin improvement to 33.5%, up 180bps. This was driven by higher margin Corporate Actions revenues, improved margin income and cost out programs driving margin expansion. Management is seeing “Register Maintenance trends improving, with encouraging return to organic growth in 2H”.
- Costs outs ahead of expectations. Stage 1 & 2 cumulative benefits of $49.4m, ahead of schedule $42.0m. Management expects Stage 3 savings to begin in FY19 (total savings of $40m -$55m expected). Overall cost to income ratio of 72.9% was -160bps lower than 74.5% in FY17.
- Free cash flow… Free cash flow is strong at $379.2m which according to management self-funds CPU’s technology initiatives, growth plans and strategic investments, share buyback and reduction in debt. Today we declare an AU 21 cents fully franked final dividend.
ASK THE ANALYST
Our analysts are ready to answer any questions you have
CPU FY18 Results Summary
Figure 2: CPU FY18 Results Summary – by Segments
Figure 3: CPU Financial Statements
Source: BTIG, Company, Bloomberg
Computershare Ltd (CPU) is a global market leader in transfer agency and share registration, employee equity plans, mortgage servicing, proxy solicitation and stakeholder communications. CPU also operates in corporate trust, bankruptcy, class action and a range of other diversified financial and governance services.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing [email protected].
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).