Inghams Group (ING) – Neutral
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector : Consumer Staples||52-Week Range: A$3.25 – 4.10|
|Industry: Food Products||Market Cap: A$1,429.7m|
We rate ING as a Neutral for the following reasons:
- Undemanding valuation and attractive dividend yield.
- Short term track record operating as a listed entity.
- Australia and New Zealand’s largest integrated poultry producer.
- Further asset sales expected to solidify balance sheet.
- Project Accelerate has proven successful in driving automation and labour productivity, which supports earnings uplift despite decrease in revenue.
- Procurement initiatives implemented with benefits in line with expectation.
- Investing to increase capacity and capability across the business in Australia and New Zealand plants.
- Capital management initiatives high on the agenda with a strong balance sheet (ING likely to declare an on-market buyback of up to 5% of issued capital).
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Re-negotiation of key contracts with large customers on unfavourable terms.
- Cost pressures (utilities and feed).
- No news on the appointment of a new CEO creates uncertainty.
- With supermarkets are under pressure to reduce prices due to competition, it is likely they will look to pass as much of the burden on to their suppliers, which will be negative for ING.
- Susceptible to exotic disease breakouts, impacting ING’s ability to supply poultry products.
- Significant reduction in volume and quality from parent stock supplier.
- Material interruptions to ING’s complex and interlinked supply chain.
- Increase in feed and electricity costs, which may be pushed to customers through market price increases, reducing competitiveness.
Overall, in our view, Inghams Group (ING) reported a solid FY18 result, with much of the ongoing investment debate focused on the quantum of cost increases in FY19.
This largely overshadowed the capital management initiatives the Company announced, with the board approving capital return of $125m to shareholders (or 33cps – expected timing Dec18 or Jan19). Further, with the sale of Mitavite expected to complete in the fourth quarter of 2018, the Board intends to initiate an on-market share buyback of up to 5% of issued capital.
With respect to the results, underlying EBITDA (excluding asset sale and restructuring charges) of $208.9m was below market estimates of $213.0m and up +7.1% on pcp.
We maintain our Neutral recommendations as we see a number of challenges for the Company in the near-term:
1. Costs out remain on track but are now coming to a completion;
2. energy and feed cost pressures are expected to continue in FY19;
3. higher tax rate;
4. New Zealand remains a challenge (excess capacity remains); and
5. No update on the CEO leads to further uncertainty.
So why Neutral? The Company retains a strong balance sheet with capital management on the agenda in the near-term (potential of an on-market buy-back likely to provide some share price support) and trading on reasonable valuation of 13.3x FY19 PE-multiple and yield of ~5%.
- Earnings. Underlying EBITDA was up +7.1% to $208.9m, which excludes the benefits from asset sale and restructuring. Underlying NPAT was up +12.4% on pcp, however this was assisted by a lower effective tax rate and lower net financing costs (due to higher cash balances). Headline EBITDA of $212m saw a net benefit with asset sales ($19.4m) more than offsetting restructuring costs ($16.3m).
- Cash flow. Cash flow was solid, with operating cash conversion excluding inventory financing was 112.1%. Headline operating cash conversion of 122.9% benefited from inventory financing benefit of $23m.
- Gearing. Net debt declined to $145m, with gearing reducing to 0.7x (ND/EBITDA), driven by improved cash flow and proceeds from asset sale.
- Capital management. Given the strong gearing position and current cash on the balance sheet, management has announced capital return of $125m (equivalent to 33cps). Further, with the impending sale of Mitavite in fourth quarter CY18, the Board also intends on proceeding with an on-market buyback of up to 5% of issued capital.
- Outlook. Management provided the following outlook comments:
1. Expect demand for poultry products to grow, as inflationary pressures (i.e. higher prices) are being felt across all protein categories. Hence expect poultry to retain its “relative” attractiveness.
2. Cost pressures in the form of higher energy prices and feed costs, are expected to continue. Management will try to offset these via pass-through to the customers when necessary.
3. NZ is expected to remain challenging in FY19.
4. Expect a higher effective tax rate in FY19 (29% vs. 24.4% in FY18) due to changes in NZ tax legislation%.
Figure 1: FY18 P&L summary
Figure 2: ING Financial Summary
Source: BTIG, Company (pro forma numbers), Bloomberg
Inghams Group Ltd (ING) is Australia and New Zealand’s largest integrated poultry producer. The Company produces and sells chicken, turkey and stock feed that is used by the poultry, pig, dairy and equine industries.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).