Sonic Healthcare (SHL) – NEUTRAL
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector : Healthcare||52-Week Range: A$20.61 – 27.00|
|Industry: Healthcare Services||Market Cap: A$10,879.1m|
We rate SHL as a Neutral for the following reasons:
- Ageing population requiring more diagnostic tests, especially as Medicine focuses on preventative medicine.
- Market leading positions in pathology (number one in Australia, Germany, Switzerland, and UK number three in the US). Second leading player in Imaging in Australia.
- High barriers to entry in establishing global channels.
- Ongoing bolt-on acquisitions to supplement organic growth and potentially improve margin from cost synergies.
- Leveraged to a falling dollar.
- Globally diversified.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Disruptive technology leading to reduced diagnostics costs.
- Competitive threats leading market share loss.
- Deregulation resulting in new pathology collection centres.
- Adverse regulatory changes (fee cuts).
- Disappointing growth.
- Adverse currency movements (AUD, EUR, USD).
Figure 1: SHL Revenue by Segment
Sonic Healthcare (SHL) FY18 results were largely in line with management guidance, with earnings (EBITDA) up +6.4% on a constant currency basis over the previous corresponding period (pcp), albeit at the lower end of the 6-8% guided.
Net profit was up +11.2% on statutory basis and up +6.5% on underlying basis. FY19 EBITDA growth guidance however missed analyst estimates, impacted by known fee reductions in Germany and the U.S. which saw the stock fall by -2.7%.
FY18 results were affected by one-off factors including fewer workings days in several regions, U.S and Germany fee cuts and a US tax benefit of $20m. SHL’s management noted the negative effect of fee cuts to be around 2% of EBITDA growth and if these effects are excluded, EBITDA growth was ~7.5% which in our view, is solid operational performance given industry-wide cost pressures.
SHL’s Laboratory segment performed well showing a margin accretion of 30-40bps, driven by organic revenue growth of 6%. Management noted that SHL’s growth momentum is well established and set to continue in FY19, expecting +3-5% EBITDA growth (constant currency basis). SHL is trading on a ~19.9x PE multiple and yield of 3.3%, which is fair value in our view.
- FY18 key results. FY18 results were in line with management guidance and management noted that SHL’s performance in FY18 was strong both financially and operationally. Key figures from the results were:
1. Underlying EBITDA on actual currency basis was up +8.3% to $962m over the pcp (+6.4% growth on constant currency basis).
2. Revenue grew by +8.2% to $5.5bn driven by Laboratory (Europe) which was up +14.5%.
3. Net profit was $476m (up +11.2%) and Earnings per share (EPS) grew +9.9% to $1.12 per share.
4. The board declared a final dividend of 49cps (up +6.5% pcp), bringing the total FY18 dividend to 81cps, growth of +5.2% pcp. Management suspended the DRP for the FY18 final as the debt cover ratio is now in line with the preferred long term average ratio and SHL has headroom of ~$650m to fund its future expansions and acquisitions.
- FY19 guidance. Management provided solid FY19 guidance, in our view, with key figures being:
1. Expectations of EBITDA growth +3-5% (constant currency basis) and +5-7% on current exchange rates.
2. Interest expense to grow by ~4% assuming constant currency.
3. Tax rate at ~25%.
4. Incorporates known fee reductions in Germany and USA equivalent to ~2% EBITDA.
5. Management expects continued strong organic growth and continuation of progressive dividend policy. No regulatory changes are expected in FY19 except the ongoing fee changes which have been already factored in the guidance.
6. Management noted that SHL has a rich pipeline of acquisitions, JVs and contract opportunities for FY19.
7.Pathology Trier acquisition in Germany is to be EPS accretive in FY19.
- Capital management.
1. Total debt saw an increase of $48m in FY18 to A$2,483m, largely due to exchange rate changes and partially offset by net cash generated.
2. In October, SHL refinance EUR160m of debt with 7 and 15-year tenors at 2% fixed rates, bringing the total weighted pretax average cost of debt to ~2.6%.
3. Net cash available is at ~A$650m, after the FY18 final dividend is paid out.
4. Debt cover ratio decreased from 2.7x to 2.5x in FY18 and is in line with SHL’s preferred long term position.
SHL FY18 RESULTS SUMMARY
Figure 2: SHL revenue results summary
Source: BTIG, Bloomberg
Figure 3: SHL Debt Metrics Summary
Source: BTIG, Bloomberg
Figure 4: Australian Healthcare Comps
Source: BTIG, Bloomberg
Figure 5: SHL Financial Summary
Source: BTIG, Company, Bloomberg
Sonic Healthcare (SHL) is a medical diagnostics company with operations in Australia, New Zealand, and Europe. The company provides a comprehensive range of pathology and diagnostic imaging services to medical practitioners, hospitals and their patients along with providing administrative services and facilities to medical practitioners. SHL has three main segments: (1) Pathology/clinical laboratory services based in Australia, NZ, UK, US, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and Ireland. (2) Diagnostic imaging services in Australia; and (3) Other which includes medical centre operations (IPN), occupational health services (Sonic HealthPlus) and laboratory automation development (GLP Systems).
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing email@example.com.
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).