Cochlear Ltd (COH) – NEUTRAL
|Date of Report||ASX||Price||Price Target||Analyst Recommendation|
|Date of Report|
|Sector : Healthcare||52-Week Range: $140.68 – 209.86|
|Industry: Healthcare Equipment||Market Cap: A$11,101.4m|
We rate COH as a Neutral due to the following reasons:
- Trading on fair value on absolute and relative basis of FY20e of 35.7x, ~1.6% dividend yield.
- Attractive hearing loss market with (1) ~5% of world’s population or 360m have disabling hearing loss (328m adults and 32m children); (2) 1 in 3 people over age of 65 affected by hearing loss; (3) less than 5% market penetration.
- Market leading positions globally.
- Direct-to-consumer marketing expected to fast track market growth.
- Best in class R&D program (significant dollar amount) leading to continual development of new products and upgrades to existing suite of products.
- New product launches driving continued demand in all segments.
- Attractive exposure to growth in China, India and more recently Japan.
- Solid balance sheet position.
We see the following key risks to our investment thesis:
- Product recall.
- R&D program fails to deliver innovative products.
- Increase in competitive pressures.
- Change in government reimbursement policy.
- Adverse movements in AUD/USD.
- Emerging market does not recoup – significant downside to earnings.
Figure 1: COH Revenue by Segment
At times, even though a Company may produce a strong result, if it does not meet the higher growth rates expected by the market (as it did in this case, with revenue and net income, -1.9% and -0.9% lower than consensus respectively), the stock price declines (by -3.0% in this instance).
Otherwise, COH in our view produced a solid FY18 result.
Key highlights to the results include:
1. Reported revenue was up +9% (+9% in constant currency) to $1,351.4m driven by Cochlear implant units’ sales, up +8% to 35,260 (or up +11% excluding Chinese Central Government tender units).
2. expenses increased by 9% (8% in CC) to $1,023.3m.
3. EBIT increased +10% (+11% in CC) to $348.4m, with the EBIT margin increasing by one percentage point to 26%.
4. Reported net profit of $245.8m, was up +10% (up +10% in CC).
5. COH produced strong cash flow generation which supported the 14% increase in the final dividend to $1.60 per share, with full year dividends up 11% to $3.00 per share (~70% payout).
We maintain our Neutral recommendation although it trades on a lofty FY20E 37.2x one year forward price to earnings and 1.6% dividend yield.
- Strong FY19 guidance and outlook. On the analyst call, management pointed out “for FY19, COH expects to deliver reported net profit of $265-275m, an 8-12% increase on FY18”. COH is “targeting to maintain the net profit margin”. COH has “a number of large long-term investment projects including the development of our China manufacturing facility, with the construction phase expected to be complete by the end of FY20, and investments in IT platforms to strengthen our connected health, digital and cyber security capabilities. These projects are expected to increase capital expenditure levels to $80-100m per annum over the next few years”. Management continues “to target a dividend payout ratio of around 70% of net profit”.
- Cochlear implants (62% of revenue) – strong performance driven by sales in emerging markets. The segment saw revenues grew 8% (8% in CC) with unit growth of 8% (up 11% excluding the impact of Chinese Central Government tender units; FY18 result included ~1,100 Chinese Central Government tender units compared to ~1,900 in FY17.). Reported average selling prices were stable in constant currency but there was some price pressure in some markets, particularly Western Europe. Across the developed world (80% of revenues), sales of units grew by +9%, especially driven by sales in US and UK. The Nucleus 7 Sound Processor (a world’s first which is specifically made for iPhone cochlear implant sound processor), was launched in 2Q and drove market share gains for COH. In emerging markets, sales of units grew by over 15% (adjusted for the impact of lower Chinese Central Government tender units), especially in the Middle East and the China private pay market.
- Services (sound processor upgrades and other) (26% of revenue) – performed strongly. The segment saw revenue increase by 16% (15% in CC) driven by
1. Release of the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor during the 2Q18; and
2. First full year of revenue from Sycle (audiology practice management software business acquired by COH in May 2017).
- Acoustics (bone conduction and acoustic implants) (12% of revenue) – the negative of the result following a strong FY17 result. Revenue declined by 1% (0% in CC), following a strong 26% growth in CC in FY17. According to management, they are seeing solid demand for the Baha 5 sound processor range.
ASK THE ANALYST
Our analysts are ready to answer any questions you have
COH FY18 FINANCIAL RESULTS…
Figure 3: Results Summary
Figure 4: Healthcare Comparables
Figure 5: COH Financial Summary
Source: BTIG, Company, Bloomberg
Cochlear Ltd (COH) researches, develops and markets cochlear implant systems for hearing impaired people. COH’s hearing implant systems include Nucleus and Baha and are sold globally. COH has direct operations in 20 countries and 2,800 employees.
Recommendation Rating Guide
|Recommendation Rating Guide||Total Return Expectations on a 12-mth view|
|Speculative Buy||Greater than +30%|
|Buy||Greater than +10%|
|Neutral||Greater than 0%|
|Sell||Less than -10%|
Reach Markets Disclaimer
Reach Markets Pty Ltd (ABN 36 145 312 232) is a Corporate Authorised Representative of Reach Financial Group Pty Ltd (ABN 17 090 611 680) who holds Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) 333297. Please refer to our Financial Services Guide or you can request for a copy to be sent to you, by emailing [email protected].
Read our full disclaimer here >
This publication contains general securities advice. In preparing the advice, Reach Markets Australia has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person. Before making an investment decision on the basis of this advice, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a securities adviser, whether the advice in this publication is appropriate in light of your particular investment needs, objectives and financial situation. Reach Markets Australia and its associates within the meaning of the Corporations Act may hold securities in the companies referred to in this publication. Reach Markets Australia does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. Reach Markets Australia believes that the advice and information herein is accurate and reliable, but no warranties of accuracy, reliability or completeness are given (except insofar as liability under any statute cannot be excluded). No responsibility for any errors or omissions or any negligence is accepted by Reach Markets Australia or any of its directors, employees or agents. This publication must not be distributed to retail investors outside of Australia.
It is recommended that you seek independent advice and read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision in relation to any investment. Any advice contained in this communication is general and has not taken into account the investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any particular person.
Banyan Tree Disclaimer
This document is provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).
The material in this document may contain general advice or recommendations which, while believed to be accurate at the time of publication, are not appropriate for all persons or accounts. This document does not purport to contain all the information that a prospective investor may require. The material contained in this document does not take into consideration an investor’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, investors should consider the appropriateness of the advice, having regard to the investor’s objectives, financial situation and needs. The material contained in this document is for sales purposes. The material contained in this document is for information purposes only and is not an offer, solicitation or recommendation with respect to the subscription for, purchase or sale of securities or financial products and neither or anything in it shall form the basis of any contract or commitment. This document should not be regarded by recipients as a substitute for the exercise of their own judgment and recipients should seek independent advice.
The material in this document has been obtained from sources believed to be true but neither Banyan Tree nor its associates make any recommendation or warranty concerning the accuracy, or reliability or completeness of the information or the performance of the companies referred to in this document. Past performance is not indicative of future performance. Any opinions and or recommendations expressed in this material are subject to change without notice and Banyan Tree is not under any obligation to update or keep current the information contained herein. References made to third parties are based on information believed to be reliable but are not guaranteed as being accurate.
Banyan Tree and its respective officers may have an interest in the securities or derivatives of any entities referred to in this material. Banyan Tree does, and seeks to do, business with companies that are the subject of its research reports. The analyst(s) hereby certify that all the views expressed in this report accurately reflect their personal views about the subject investment theme and/or company securities.
Although every attempt has been made to verify the accuracy of the information contained in the document, liability for any errors or omissions (except any statutory liability which cannot be excluded) is specifically excluded by Banyan Tree, its associates, officers, directors, employees and agents. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded, Banyan Tree, its directors, employees and agents accept no liability or responsibility for any loss or damage of any kind, direct or indirect, arising out of the use of all or any part of this material. Recipients of this document agree in advance that Banyan Tree is not liable to recipients in any matters whatsoever otherwise recipients should disregard, destroy or delete this document. All information is correct at the time of publication. Banyan Tree does not guarantee reliability and accuracy of the material contained in this document and is not liable for any unintentional errors in the document.
The securities of any company(ies) mentioned in this document may not be eligible for sale in all jurisdictions or to all categories of investors. This document is provided to the recipient only and is not to be distributed to third parties without the prior consent of Banyan Tree.
This document has been commissioned by Reach Markets Australia Pty Ltd and provided by Banyan Tree Investment Group (ACN 611 390 615; AFSL 486279) (“Banyan Tree”).